We’ve lost a great friend, huge supporter and fan of the area music scene, devoted volunteer and a man who was an inspiration to so many...
With heavy hearts, today we say goodbye to our very dear friend and #1 music fan Jimmy Brooks. Jimmy was a huge inspiration to so many. Always cheerful and encouraging in spite of his disabilities and always in the front row of nearly every live show. We will dearly miss his physical presence but he will forever remain in our hearts and minds. Rest in peace brother Jimmy.
MAMA supports music education in the community!
MAMA is a non-profit organization established to serve, educate and promote local areamusicians and the community, continuing the area’s rich musical heritage. MAMA’s goal is to make the River Region a music destination by promoting and raising community awareness of local professional musicians and bands to local music venues, event planners, and citizens.
By supporting MAMA, you will be helping to support area musicians and local live music. MAMA membership benefits include:
Live Music Fans/Supporters
- Membership Card
- Discounts at MAMA events & on MAMA merchandise
- Discounts at affiliated MAMA Member Venues & Businesses
- The opportunity to support music education for all ages
- Monthly MAMA e-newsletter
- The opportunity to play a vital role in furthering the area’s music scene
- Opportunity to support/hear great local musicians and their original music
- The opportunity to mentor others
- Opportunity to promote, and have MAMA promote, your band or business
- Find musicians needed for gigs
- MAMA supported band bookings
- Opportunity to meet new musicians and make new friends
- Opportunity to jam with/learn from other local musicians
- Educational music workshops
- Opportunity to sell your merch at any MAMA event
- Opportunity to mentor others
- Established a relationship with Montgomery City officials to encourage them to use/promote area musicians for their events, which they have started doing recently. They have employed area musicians at the Riverfront Ampitheater, the Train Shed and other events.
- Supporting local businesses by sponsoring shows/events at their establishments and/or using their business services such as Guest House Studios, new Media Streaming, Tommy House Productions, Yeti Entertainment, Powersounds USA, the Blue Iguana, the Irish Bred Pub, the Thirsty Turtle, the Capital City Club, Deja Vu, Riverwalk Ampitheatre, kwik Copy Shop, the Capital City Oyster Bar, Bluewater Broadcasting, Cumulus Broadcasting, Carl’s Country and It’ll Do Tavern.
- Established this website and the MAMA Facebook account to keep the public up to date on events/accomplishments/opportunities offered
- Free advertising/promotion to bands, offering them the opportunity to link their band pages to ours for further support
- Held 37 MAMA monthly jams to expose musicians of all ages and genres to people in the community, offer a place to perform and gather experience, encourage musicians to meet and network
- Obtained approximately 2,700 followers on the Facebook page with a reach of over 10,000 people
- Made donations to the following:
- Montgomery Area Food Bank
- The family of Jimmy Gilbert to help with burial expenses
- The late Jimmy Brooks to help purchase a new wheelchair lift
- Ray Humphrey to help pay for medical expenses
- The Boys and Girl’s Club of the River Region
- The US Military Motorcycle Club
- The Alcazar Shrine Temple
- And many others
- Used positive advocacy to help settle/resolve issues between venues and musicians
- Provided contracts for musicians to use as needed via this website
- Produced a live streaming event “Friday Night Live” promoting local musicians and our organization, which received national attention and was broadcast worldwide
- Booked over 150 shows for area musicians (members and non-members), resulting in over $100,000 of commission free revenue to area artists. MAMA has never charged any booking fees to artists or venues.
- Sponsored/organized free benefits to those in need
- Held two highly successful MAMA Over Montgomery events, promoting area musicians and businesses at the Capital City Club
- Established a Music Education Committee which has held 4 highly successful workshops for students. All have earned positive reviews from the musicians, students and their families
- Established supportive partnerships with local groups such as Helicity, the Alabama Roots Music Society, the Alabama Blues & Jazz Federation, venues such as the Creek Casino, Montgomery Performing Arts Center, and local nightclubs and music venues
- Supported Jazz & Blues Night at local venues
- Advertised and promoted various job opportunities for area musicians
- Encouraged/arranged/informed musicians of public relations opportunities/performances with various media/chances to play on air at various radio stations
- Published monthly newsletter for members
- Worked with the “What’s Happening Around Montgomery (WHAM)” website and www.EverythingRiverRegion.com to promote local band schedules
- Distributed hundreds of brochures with information about MAMA and advertising for business members
- Provided a Legalities of the Music Industry workshop for members
- Promoted local musicians/events through various media outlets including print, TV and radio
- Encouraged/promoted musicians/singer-songwriters with original music to build a community of passionate people to encourage, advocate and educate on the subject of music.